Re: Inexpensive hearing aids - Consideration of Piano harmonics

Barb, I'm inpressed if you have instrumentation to fit to exact tones such as
"2048" which is, by the way, a C of 512 which is not a temered C so would
usually be inappropriate to fit as a tempered C is at 523.25.  Interestingly,
this makes your C at 2048 come out at 2093 which is only three cycles less than
being out by the same amount your 2048 would be from the 2000 of the audiometer.

As an aside, if we multiply the A which is the more commonly used not for
tempering scales, that has your A at 1600.  In Europe rather than using 440
currently many people now use 442 which brings the 1600 to 1608.  Of course, all
of this becomes of questionable value either in a porrly tempered scale, with a
piano either flat or sharp in pitch (this applies to other instruments as well)
or with instruments which are not tempered or which are not equal temered.
Since the band spreads on audiometers are standardized to neural response etc.
al be it sometimes after the fact, I am still left with the question of how much
good this actually does for a client.  I also wonder about these single cycle
frequency adjustments to aids.

Thanks.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP, R/D - AU
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html