Re: Inexpensive hearing aids - Consideration of Piano harmonics

Your point is well taken.  My reference was the consideration that a professional musician would have an enhanced response surrounding their chosen instrument.  Therefore, fitting hearing aids to match pure tones would be creating a less than optimal response.  All of us have had a musician comment that 2000 Hz is an "A" and it's flat.  Which is exactly what would happen it I concentrated on fitting a hearing aid to the audiogram based on 2kHz instead of 2048 or an approximation of that harmonic structure.  To specifically use each harmonic was not my intent.  Keeping in mind the sometimes extreme variability that we can encounter from one patient's neurophysiology to another.

Barb

>From: g_brennantg@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
>To: Barbara Reynolds <br_auditory@HOTMAIL.COM>
>CC: AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA
>Subject: Re: Inexpensive hearing aids
>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:39:22 -0600 (CST)
>
>Barbara, as an audiologist and a piano tuner I am interested in exactly how one
>fits hearing aids according to "piano harmonics".  This is particularly true
>when looking at different scalings of piano strings as well as tempered vs
>nontempered scales etc.  Since the harmonic structure of any note will be the
>lesser of the sounds depending upon how far you count harmonics I assume this
>involves blocking lower frequency sounds in the aid?
>
>I see that this looks a bit as though I am questioning if you can do what you
>claim but I assure you that is not my intent.  I am simply wondering how fitting
>to piano harmonics is accomplished and how it can be of use across instruments
>and tempraments.
>
>Tom
>

>Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP, R/D - AU
>web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security.