Affordable hearing aids (Cognitive function and hearing aids)

Your point is well taken.  But with the average of ~ 60dB, the amount of deprivation effects that already has occurred may have affected the results as well.  This is where more studies are needed to look at long-term hearing aids usage and possibly fMRI or PET scans to determine is there is a change in neural efficiency over the time course of hearing aid fittings.  There are other studies that include improvements in MMSE scores after amplification (Wright, et.al.) and studies of auditory training inducing neural plasticity through Hebbian principles.  Hearing aids provide more sound stimulation that over the course of time should improve cortical representation.

If anyone can design studies that can look at this effect including studies that look at the age of onset of Alzheimer's patients with mild to moderate hearing losses with a history of amplification with hearing aids and without over an extended period of time to determine if increased stimulation can act to delay onset through the "Cognitive Reserve Hypothesis", I would be very interested in the results.