Re: Yet again on hearing aids

I find it curious that "science" is taken to exclude what people
report about their experience.  How does science get going other than
from that basis?  And, if anyone's interested, the structured
self-report approach is yielding very impressive data that will guide
the design of future performance-based inquiry.  See:

Gatehouse, S., & Noble, W. (2004). The Speech, Spatial and Qualities
of Hearing Scale (SSQ). International Journal of Audiology, 43(2),
85-99.
Noble, W., & Gatehouse, S. (2004). Interaural asymmetry of hearing
loss, Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ)
disabilities, and handicap. International Journal of Audiology,
43(2), 100-114.

Bill Noble

Dear Tom,

You wrote:

 if we delete the science from hearing aid fitting, what
do we have left other than
 witch craft?
We have the subjective reports of the patient as to which
settings he or she prefers.  There may be other kinds of science
relevant to this question, not just hearing science: for example
psychology.  Too bad there aren't more studies as to the
variables that lead to the "dresser drawer" solution, since this
question is arguably the most important one that exists
concerning the fitting of  hearing aids, because it's a question
of the difference between some help and no help at all.

Al