Re: Sensimetrics' Headset Listening device

Dear Peter and List,

I don't know that much about solving speech-in-noise problems, but I do
know a thing or two about pinna filtering, and I would be surprised if
pinna filtering was a big factor. The reason is that the relatively
small structures of the pinna have their greatest effects on short
wavelengths, and consequently pinna filtering effects are relatively
small for frequencies up to 4 kHz. Big notches are not expected until
about 7 or 8 kHz. In other words, by the time pinna filtering really
kicks in, we are already beyond the frequency range where most of the
speech signal is carried.

Regards,

Jan

Peter Lennox wrote:

Am I right in thinking that a headset-type array cannot incorporate any of
the pinnae filtering part of the HRTF? - isn't this particularly important
for the speech-in-noise problem? Even using a capsule either side of the
head, so that at least you have duplex components and so some of the hrtf
would behave properly, surely the lack of pinnae effects would be serous? -
sorry if this is a naive question. It just seems to me that ideally, a
hearing aid would make up for amplitude-with frequency loss within the
context of the HRTF - ideally, wouldn't one wish to exaggerate pinnae
notches to make up for the loss, or is this simply not possible?
regards
ppl