Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

Dear Eliot, and others,

on Thursday, April 15, Eliot Handelman wrote:

> ........ In the case of music, perception seems to me much
> more complex than cognition, though obviously in part
> driven by cognition

The two terms do not change their meaning, when it comes to music. Also
here, perception precedes cognition. Further, the concept of "music
cognition" rarely occurs in music psychology. The concept of "music
perception", however, is very common. There even is a journal with that
name.

The reason for the dominance of the perception concept in music is that here
cognition is not needed.

An interesting example from music perception is absolute pitch, both
explicit (conscious) and implicit (subconscious). It is similar automatic as
color perception. And we never say color cognition.

So, music is by no means confusing our language game. It's fully playing
according to the rules.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music