physical aspects of computational auditory scene analysis

I am curious whether there is any active research on the physical
limitations of computational auditory scene analysis (CASA) in
multiscattering environments--i.e., is anyone looking into how the physical
enviroment defines the number of distinguishable channels in an acoustical
multiple-input multiple output (MIMO) system?

I've been looking at the problem lately and it seems interesting and
challenging, but I'm not sure if there is any support for such work (e.g.,
the intellegence community) or any established research community.

Can anyone provide insight on this?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason E. Summers, Ph.D.