Number of concurrent streams.

Dear Valeriy and List,

(Sorry if you get this twice.  Apparently the AUDITORY listserv
didn't like my new email address and may or may not have sent
this message to the list.)

I don't think that the question about how many sound sources
people can perceive in a mixture has a simple answer.

First of all, it depends on what you mean by "perceive".  If you
mean how many sound sources they can report, then it depends on
how much time they are given.  The longer they listen, the more
they can report.  This could mean that they can pay close
attention to only one sound at a time, but can shift their
attention from one source to another.  If you mean, "How many
could they report if given a sample of each one in turn and asked
whether they could detect it in the mixture, given all the time
they needed?", the question becomes one about blending and
segregation at a very basic level. (Let's call this last method,
"matching a standard").  Often I haven't been able to hear a
sound in a mixture until I knew what it was.

Assuming that one is using the "matching a standard" method,
then one's success will depend on what the sounds are and how
intense they are.  Obviously a weak sound may be hard to
detect -- it may be masked (psychoacoustically or
informationally) by the others.  Even if this is not true, the
similarity of the component sound sources plays an important
role.  Those researchers who have claimed that only a small
number of sources (3 or 4) can be detected are all referring to
sets of sounds that resemble one another, such as multiple
talkers or singers, or rhythmically playing instruments.

Consider the following set of sounds:
 - a person talking
 - randomly spaced hits on a bass drum (greatly attenuated)
 - an ambulance siren
 - jangling of a set of house keys,
 - a pure tone playing Morse code,
 - a person typing on an electric typewriter.
 - the sound of a motorcycle whizzing by (greatly attenuated)

As long as the intensities were balanced appropriately, I think
you would eventually detect all of them by the method of matching
a standard.

As many of the list members know, I believe that there is an
early
perceptual stage of assigning of links among the parts of the
incoming mixture prior to further processing by the mechanisms
that we call attention.
If what we are asking about is whether this pre-attentive process
has some limit concerning the number of discrete subsets
(potential streams) it can form, we would have to observe its
operation without any contribution from attention.  I believe
that
this is impossible using the standard methods of psychoacoustics.
Rather, it has to be addressed using a physiological approach.
Some beginnings toward doing this have been carried out by Elyse
Sussman and by Claude Alain (working independently), and there
may be others who I don't know about.

By the way, I referred to the output of the pre-attentive
mechanism as "potential" streams because there is good reason to
believe that top-down processes play a big role in determining
the actually heard streams.

Sorry the answer couldn't have been simpler.

Al

Albert S. Bregman,
Emeritus Professor
Psychology Dept., McGill University