Re: about separately recorded songs

At 09:50 PM 7/14/2004, Yipeng Li wrote:
Dear list,

I am a graduate student in the computer science and engineering
department, the Ohio state university. Currently I am carrying out a
project which is to extract the vocal line (singing) out of a song, i.e.
to remove the backing music. In order to develop such a system, I need
recordings where the vocal and music are separately recorded. e.g., the
vocal is in one track and the music is in another track (different
instruments are not necessarily separately recorded). For all the
recordings I can found, the vocal and the music are mixed and then stored
in different channels. Karaoke is not useful since in Karaoke, the music
is stored in one channel and the mixture of vocal and music, instead of
the vocal alone, is stored in the other channel. I heard that in modern
pop music industry, every instrument as well as vocal line is separately
recorded. They are mixed before the release. Since it is difficult for me
to access this kind of resource, I am wondering if there are other ways to
get the recordings.

If you can find them, old recordings from the 50s and 60s would sometimes
have the vocals in one channel and the instruments in the other.  I do know
that the early Beatles records on Capitol definitely were split up the way
that you want - sadly I got rid of my copies of those, along with my
turntable, a couple of years ago. This was usually fixed when they were
remastered for CD, so I would suggest going to some old LP shops, or maybe
checking eBay or craiglist.

Brian