Re: 'Speak in my right ear and sing in my left'

Richard Nance asked:

> Is this "pre-processing" in  the inner ear something that happens before
> otoacoustic emissions kick in? I was under the impression that OAE helped
> amplify/filter. How did they control for it?

Otoacoustic emissions are signs of the activity of the mechanical
pre-amplifiers in the inner ear, that is signs of the motility of the outer
hair cells. Evoked emissions, as statistically analyzed in the mentioned
study, are today widely used in medical diagnosis as tests of the
amplifiers. Such a test is like knocking on the mic to hear if the amp is
plugged in and on right level.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music