Re: 'Speak in my right ear and sing in my left'

Although the conclusions that lateralization effects BEGIN at the inner ear BEFORE it reaches the brain is probably stretching it, the most likely factor producing the results is the efferent system that is involved in controlling the majority of the outer hair cells are just that - - EFFERENT - - receiving information from the brain in order to control what sounds or aspects of sounds receive
preferential processing and additional amplification.  Since there may be a definite processing lateralization of the brain at birth (or prenatally), it is not a big stretch to think that the brain would exert more control over the contralateral ear than an equal effect on both.

Barbara Reynolds, M.S.
Clinical Audiologist

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more!