Re: Hilbert envelope bandwidth

Dear Eckard Blumschein:

Here are my answers to some of your questions.

'Who introduced the term Hilbert envelope?'

The name Hilbert envelope was given by Dennis Gabor. The Hilbert
transform was introduced into electrical
 engineering literatures by Yuk Wing Lee around 1930. Actually 'Lee had
a difficult time convincing the
senior MIT faculty at his doctoral defense of the validity of the
relation. Ultimately it was Wiener's
endorsement of the concept that allowed the work to pass and Lee to
receive his degree. (See Therrien's 2002
article in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine.)

'How to get it? Will it work in ASR?'

To get the Hilbert envelope, the Hilbert operator in the time domain or
halfway rectifier followed by low pass
filtering would normally be used.  A more interesting and practical way
is to model the envelope by an
all-pole model.

Linear prediction in spectral domain (LPSD), a duality of linear
prediction, was developed by Kumaresan
and Rao (JASA 1999). In the mean time, Athineos and Ellis (ASRU 2003),
following the idea of temporal
noise shaping, proposed frequency-domain linear prediction (FDLP) and
applied it successfully to ASR first.

Even more improvement of recognition accuracy was demonstrated in their
most recent paper (Athineos,
Hermansky and Ellis in ICSLP-04), where linear predictive temporal
patterns (LP-TRAP) were introduced.

'Is it important for speech perception?'

In order to understand the relative importance of temporal Hilbert
envelope and fine structure, Smith,
Delgutte, and Oxenham (letter to nature, 2002) performed the famous
chimaeric sounds experiments
and concluded that the envelope is most important for speech perception
with increasing number of filters.
However, some of the technical issues in the design of the experiments
make their conclusion quite dubious.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards

Yadong Wang