Re: painfully loud sound

I have experienced a similar sensation while experimenting with analog
electronic music circuits. For me, the best triggering stimulus tends to be
fairly intense, high-pass, with a low fundamental (very "hollow" sounding),
and one ear experiences a sort of "fluttering" or "pushing" sensation,
synchronized with amplitude modulations in the stimulus. It's not painful in
the same way that very loud sound is, but definitely uncomfortable. I
wouldn't describe the sensation as "warm" or "full" though, and it definitely
ceased after I turned off the stimulus. I've guessed at a middle-ear
mechanism but it's outside my expertise. I haven't even done any careful
testing with a calibrated sound source.

-Chris

--

G. Christopher Stecker, Ph.D.
Research Psychologist, VA Research Service

Human Cognitive Neurophysiology Lab
VA Northern California Health Care System
150 Muir Road, 151-I / Martinez CA 94553