smooth option for F0 contours

Dear members of the list,
my name is Stephen and I am currently running an experiment on pitch variability. I have used the smooth-option to eliminate any erratic pitch values of the contour.
However, up to now, I have been unable to find any information on how this smooth option actually works. All I find in Praat´s help information on this is: "it converts every pitch value".
Do you have more information on how this smoothing actually works ?
What does it really mean to use a "bandwidth of e.g. 4 Hz" ?
Would be very thankful for any indication.
All the best,

Do You Yahoo!?