Re: Rhythm perception

I guess the problem you refer to is "beat induction": how do listeners arrive at a metrical interpretion when listening to a rhythm. H.C. Longuet-Higgins was one of the first to address the problem in a computational way (see H.C. Longuet-Higgings, Mental Proceses. Studies in cognitive sciences, MIT press, 1987). The literature since then is vast, approaching the problem with a wide variety of computational paradigms (see, e.g., * for an overview, or the papers in the "foot-tapping" session at ICMC 1992; **).

Henkjan Honing

*  http://www.hum.uva.nl/mmm/abstracts/dh-100.html
** http://www.hum.uva.nl/mmm/mmm-2003/fun/beat.html