Re: Hean Movements and Sound Source Segregation

Also, in the late 1930s Hans Wallach gave a geometrical argument for
the use of motion in localization: Say that you hear a sound and can
localize it using iteraural timing and level differences to the median
plane.  If you turn your head to the left, a sound source in front of
you will move towards your right ear, while one behind you will move
towards your left ear.

Furthermore, if the sound source is elevated above or below the
horizontal plane, it will move less than if it were in the plane.  In
the extreme, when the sound source is directly above you its cues
don't change at all as you rotate your head.

See e.g.
Wallach, H. "On Sound Localization." JASA 10(1), 1938, p83

-Mike