Re: Head movement

Al, Pierre, and all,

One thought that comes to mind is a substantial difference between
rotating the head and a moving sound source: Doppler effect.
Moving sound sources, like flies, exhibit a great deal of Doppler,
but I've never perceived it when moving my head. Maybe skaters who
rotate fast on the ice would, but it's not normal experience.

Another thought is that a virtual reality system implements an
HRTF in real time. If a sound source is simulated as stationary
and you move your head, the system is supposed to monitor a head
position detector and keep the illusion of the source stationary.

Jim Beauchamp
UIUC, Urbana, IL