Re: computational complexity of psychoacoustic models

The choice is, at least for all MPEG codecs, completely up to the
developer. You can decide not to use a psychoacoustic model at all, or
you can decide to use a complex model to gain as much quality as possible.

Oftenly used steps are:

FFT
Critical Band grouping
Conversion to dB
(Analysis of tonality of possible maskers)
calculation of masking threshold via masking model

Have a look at the psychoacoustic model 2 in the informative part of the
MPEG-1 standard.

Kind regards,
Alexander

--