Georgia Tech Sonification Lab

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:20:13 +0000 From: Andre Castro <andre_castro83@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: underwater listening - bone-conduction

Hello, I=92m sonic arts student at Middlesex University (UK). I=92m curre=
ntly I=20
developing a project on underwater soundscapes. My intention is to create=
body of recordings of underwater sound environments, with which I can sta=
composing with. Although that has not been an easy job, recording in pool=
ponds and small rivers, using homemade hydrophones both with piezzo=20
transducers and dynamic mics. However results have been quite stimulating=
the work.

One thing that has been fascinating me is the fact that our perception of=
underwater sound is realized through bone conduction. For what I could=20
gather by relating different sources is that when inside water the impeda=
matching/communication form the ear drum (air) to the inner ear (fluid),=20
through the ossicles is stopped. As a result our air conducted listening =
also stopped. We no longer perceive sound through the vibration of the=20
eardrum, but through the vibration of the skull and jaw.

I do not know until what point this is as it happens, I am afraid I might=
speculating quite a bit. However doing quite some research (in underwater=
sound, deafness, hearing aids) I haven=92t been able to find almost any p=

I would be very pleased if anyone could give some insight on this subject=
point me in some direction (book, website, person) how might help in this=