the seven wonders of hearing

Hello,

After our discussion last week, I have made a new list of possible
physiological Cochlea Amplifiers (some of these are weakly
physiologically based). I currently count seven.

Can any one reference - in a completely published model - the seventh ?

Can anyone think of other physiologically based CAs to add to the list ?
If so then please add them and change the subject line.

In no particular order :

a] Oscillators    : Van Der Pol type oscillators, which I believe began
                    with Johannesma [1]
b] Squirting wave : Andrew Bell's Organ of Corti squirting amplifier [2]
c] Dual resonance : Martin Braun's dual resonance model [3]
d] Feedback amp.  : Zwicker's feedback amplifier [4]
e] Hopf amplifier : Hopf bifurcation augmenting the travelling wave [5,6]
f] Active TW      : Active travelling wave amplifiers - of which I
                    believe there are many, I reference only one [7]
g] Active CW      : Active compression wave amplifier. Of which I have
                    seen no complete models - as of yet.

thanks
Matt

[1] @INCOLLECTION{Johannesma:1980,
  author = {Johannesma, P.I.M.},
  title = {Narrow Band Filters and Active Resonators},
  booktitle = {Psychophysical, physiological and behavioural studies in
hearing},
  publisher = {Delft University Press: Delft},
  year = {1980},
  editor = {van der Brink, G. and Bilsen, F.A.},
  pages = {62-63}
}

[2] @ARTICLE{bell:2004,
  author = {Bell, A. and Fletcher, N.H.},
  title = {{The cochlear amplifier as a standing wave: "Squirting" waves
between
	rows of outer hair cells?}},
  journal = {The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America},
  year = {2004},
  volume = {116},
  pages = {1016},
  publisher = {ASA}
}

[3] @article{braun:1994,
  title={{Tuned hair cells for hearing, but tuned basilar membrane for
overload protection: evidence from dolphins, bats, and desert rodents}},
  author={BRAUN, M.},
  journal={Hearing research},
  volume={78},
  number={1},
  pages={98--114},
  year={1994},
  publisher={Elsevier}
}

[4] @ARTICLE{Zwicker:1986a,
  author = {Zwicker, E.},
  title = {A hardware cochlear nonlinear preprocessing model with active
feedback},
  journal = {Journal of the Acoustical Society of America},
  year = {1986},
  volume = {80},
  pages = {146-153},
  number = {1},
  month = {July}
}

[5] @ARTICLE{duke:2003,
  author = {Duke, T. and J{\"u}licher, F.},
  title = {{Active Traveling Wave in the Cochlea}},
  journal = {Physical Review Letters},
  year = {2003},
  volume = {90},
  pages = {158101},
  number = {15},
  publisher = {APS}
}

[6] @ARTICLE{magnasco:2003,
  author = {Magnasco, M.O.},
  title = {{A Wave Traveling over a Hopf Instability Shapes the Cochlear
Tuning
	Curve}},
  journal = {Physical Review Letters},
  year = {2003},
  volume = {90},
  pages = {58101},
  number = {5},
  publisher = {APS}
}

[7] @article{neely:1983,
  title={{An active cochlear model showing sharp tuning and high
sensitivity.}},
  author={Neely, ST and Kim, DO},
  journal={Hearing Research},
  volume={9},
  number={2},
  pages={123--30},
  year={1983}
}

--

 ,dPYb,,dPYb,            I8
 IP'`YbIP'`Yb            I8        http://www.flatmaxstudios.com/
 I8  8II8  8I         88888888     http://www.flatmax.org
 I8  8'I8  8'            I8
 I8 dP I8 dP   ,gggg,gg  I8   ,ggg,,ggg,,ggg,    ,gggg,gg    ,gg,   ,gg
 I8dP  I8dP   dP"  "Y8I  I8  ,8" "8P" "8P" "8,  dP"  "Y8I   d8""8b,dP"
 I8P   I8P   i8'    ,8I ,I8, I8   8I   8I   8I i8'    ,8I  dP   ,88"
,d8b,_,d8b,_,d8,   ,d8b,d88b,dP   8I   8I   Yb,d8,   ,d8b,dP  ,dP"Y8,
PI8"888P'"Y8P"Y8888P"`Y8P""Y8P'   8I   8I   `YP"Y8888P"`Y8"  dP"   "Y8
 I8 `8,
 I8  `8,
 I8   8I  Public Projects :
 I8   8I  http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mffm