Auditory serial recall

Hi All,
I'm looking for references to help determine the inter-word interval to
use for a serial recall task. I'll be presenting strings of
monosyllables (random lengths) and measuring accuracy of word recall of
the final few words (and reaction times). Given I've got multiple
conditions I'm trying to shorten the test duration by reducing the
silent interval between the words. Any help directing me to references
that have examined the effects of various inter-word intervals on
auditory serial recall would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Ben Hornsby