Re: Losing AP and Sachs, and ASA

On the 'side-blindness' (hemispheric neglect) which also brings up the interesting phenomenon of 'blindsight' (items in the neglected locations can be properly interacted with, though no conscious report of the item occurs) - we had this discussion a few years ago - in the form of the question 'is there an auditory equivalent - to neglect and to blindsight?' - but we didn't really come up with anything conclusive.

Quite agree that ASA would have been a welcome inclusion (I'm sure the author would actually be open to the suggestion)
regards
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox
S.P.A.R.G.
Signal Processing Applications Research Group
University of Derby
http://sparg.derby.ac.uk
Int. tel: 3155
>>> Kevin Austin <kevin.austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/23/08 3:04 PM >>>
On page 123 of Musicophilia, Oliver Sachs writes of his patient Frank
V who loses his AP after the rupture of an aneurysm. There is also
earlier in the book the description of a person who loses much of the
ability to integrate sound, being left with high levels of streaming
(only). I am quite surprised that he appears not to have any
references to ASA, auditory scene analysis or Bregman. In a previous
book Sachs describes 'side-blindedness', a condition where some things
simply aren't "seen" when they are in certain locations. I understand
that Musicophilia is a laypersons' introduction, but feel there is a
referential laguna which would provide much context were it to be in
this book.

Best

Kevin