Re: multidimensional scaling of timbre

One way to test for timbre dimensions beyond the commonly found
MDS correlates, spectral centroid and rise time, is to generate a
group of sounds with the same centroid and rise time and apply
MDS on these stimuli.

This was originally done in

Lakatos, S. and Beauchamp, J. (2000). "Extended perceptual spaces
for pitched and percussive timbres" (A), J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol.
107, No. 5, Pt. 2, p. 2882.

and

Beauchamp, J. and Lakatos, S. (2002). "New Spectro-Temporal Measures
of Musical Instrument Sounds Used for a Study of Timbral Similarity
of Rise-Time- and Centroid-Normalized Musical Sounds", Proc. 7th Int.
Conf. on Music Perception & Cognition, Univ. of New South Wales,
Sydney, Australia, pp. 592-595.

However, the results, although interesting, were not very conclusive.

In 2006 some colleagues and I did an experiment on a different set
of tones (all pitched), and I presented the results at the fall 2006
ASA meeting.

Both static and dynamic musical tones where generated. All tones
were equalized for pitch, loudness, duration, rise time, decay
time, and average spectral centroid. The dynamic tones (10 of
them) were derived from orchestral instrument tones. Even though
they were equalized for the parameters mentioned above, they
retained significant spectral variation (flux). The static tones
were derived from the dynamic ones but had no spectral variation
or amplitude variation (other than onset and offset ramps).

We used two different MDS programs: SPSS and MatLab.

The spectral correlates we tested were: 1) ratio of even harmonic
rms amplitude to odd harmonic rms amplitude; 2) spectral irregularity;
3) spectral centroid variation; and 4) spectral incoherence.

The results we found were:

1) MDS and SPSS gave similar results in terms of the placement of
   the instruments in 2D and 3D MDS spaces.
2) Even/odd ratio correlated consistently well with a dimension of
   2D and 3D solutions (0.68 <= R <= .82).
3) Spectral irregularity correlated moderately well (.69 <= R <= .82)
   except for the dynamic tone 2D solutions (.39 <= R <= .40).
4) For dynamic tones, spectral centroid variation correlated better
   (.68 <= R <= .83) than spectral incoherence (.53 <= R <= .83)..
5) The 2D solution was adequate for the static tones but a 3D solution
   was necessary for the dynamic tones.
6) Instrument clusters resulting from x-y plots of the first two
   components of a PCA solution agree well with the 2D MDS results and
   results for static and dynamic tones are nearly identical.

So far the paper in question exists only as an abstract:

Beauchamp, J. W.; Horner, A. B.; Koehn, H.-F.; Bay, M. (2006).
"Multidimensional scaling analysis of centroid- and attack/decay-
normalized musical instrument sounds" (A) J. Acoust. Soc. Am.,
Vol. 120, No. 5, Pt. 2, p. 3276.

although I can supply a PDF of the power point talk if anyone is
interested.

Jim

James W. Beauchamp
Professor Emeritus of Music and Electrical & Computer Engineering
email: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxx (also: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
phone: +1-217-344-3307 (also: 217-333-3691)
WWW:  http://ems.music.uiuc.edu/beaucham