Re: Perception as memory ...

Thanks Diana

I am seldom serious about anything I say; life is too short to be taken seriously, and too serious to be taken lightly.

My reference point, as I noted, [ ... My experience with some others with absolute pitch has been that they don't "hear" chords. One person told me that she did tonal harmonic analysis not by hearing the chord and its function, but by hearing the notes and doing a rapid [reverse engineering] analysis.... ] was four people with whom I have had this discussion. I did not reference "people with absolute pitch".

From the discussions with these four (and a few others), I am considering that those with absolute pitch occupy a different perceptual universe than the one I live in. Regrettably, I may have tried to oversimplify the description. On occasion, special occasions, I ask the following question: "At the end of the second movement of the Beethoven Eighth Symphony, do you hear that the cadence, as a full- close cadence, is successful?" I do not hear it thus; I hear the Ab which occurs just before the end, even though it is 'canceled' by a following A, as shifting the tonal center from Bb to Eb. Over the years, three of my colleagues who have taught music theory have then told me that they ... actually don't hear tonally. This is another thread for another list.

The individual with enough theory and absolute pitch then told me that s/he 'really couldn't tell' whether the key had changed, but the score indicates that it hadn't. I don't know what to make of these anecdotes.

In one conversation about transposition and absolute pitch, two pieces of information came out. The famous one about Britten's 'slipped' pitch, where C major in his later life mapped out as B major, and the other that compared transposition to being like reading in different fonts, but this didn't make sense to me so I have not told anyone about it.

I am not AP.

??

Best

Kevin