Re: Sound cards

Keith,

There's a nice comparison of soundcards on the PC AV Tech web site.
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/.

A few labs at BTNRH have been using the DAL CardDeluxe for several years and
we continue to be very pleased with its performance. (However, for
applications that require synchronous I/O, such as otoacoustic emissions,
the newer WDM driver is unsatisfactory and we continue to use the older MME
driver.)
http://www.digitalaudio.com/

Our Auditory Physiology Lab uses the Lynx L22, which is more suitable for
animal work because it can sample at 192 kHz.
http://www.lynxstudio.com/lynxl22.html

If you are looking for a less expensive card, some people here are pleased
with the performance of the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, which is sold some
places for under $100.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

The Echo Gina24 has the advantage of 8 outputs. It is being replaced by the
Gina3G, which has 6 outputs (and two inputs).
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/Gina3G/

If you're looking for a PCMCIA card, we've tested the Indigo io, also from
Echo. It's a little noisier than the CardDeluxe, but still has excellent
performance and is capable of synchronous I/O both under Windows and Linux.
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/

We are currently working on library of soundcard functions to facilitate
locally developed software in several of our auditory research labs. We plan
to make this library publicly available within the next few months.

-- Stephen Neely

Stephen T. Neely, D.Sc.                  OFFICE: +1-402-498-6751
Boys Town National Research Hospital        FAX: +1-402-498-6351
555 North 30th Street                 E-MAIL: Neely@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Omaha, NE 68131