Re: Unix play command

I don't know about MacOSX, but on several unixes, 'play' is just a more
or less elaborated script that writes on '/dev/audio' or '/dev/snd'

The 'sox' package includes such a script. Maybe it can be installed on
MacOS X (?)

Christophe Pallier

beaucham wrote:
Practically every Unix system I've used since about 1990 sports a play
command that simply plays back a file without the need for a special
GUI app -- including Linux. Some of them even had record commands. I
find this very convenient, especially when working with shell scripts
and simple C programs. However, my OS X 10.1 Terminal app (which
emulates a Unix terminal) doesn't do it. Does anyone know if more
recent OS X systems do?

Jim