synthesis/analysis: where is the error?

Dear list,

When I synthesize  a vowel contiuum (varying F1 in steps of, say, 10 Hz) and
then analyse each sound I always see that there are differences between the
F1 value specified in the synthesis  and the F1 value obtained in the
analysis. Furthermore, ther is no linear relation between the two throughout
the continuum.

Where is the error? synthesis? analysis? bouth? Which is more reliable?

If I want to make a continumm with a fixed step size...

Should I rely either on the values I specify on the synthesis or on the
observed values of the analysis?

Thanks!